Thursday, May 20, 2010

Billy Sunshine

I had a fantastic afternoon today.  I drove to San Antonio and had a 4 hour lunch with four "girls" I knew in high school and junior high.  I've know one since elementary school.  We haven't talked in many many years but have "reconnected' on Facebook and decided to connect up close and personal.  It was amazing, and I'm so glad we did it. 

One of the first things I was asked was "What about Linda?"  My friend Linda and I were so close in junior high and the first part of high school. 

In high school - 10th grade, probably - Linda saw a boy in the hall.  She had a crush on him but didn't  know his name.  Somebody told her it was Billy.  To us, he became Billy Sunshine.  I wrote her/them a poem:

His name
is Billy Sunshine
It fits him
better than William or Bill or Willy
Billy
goes good with him
Sunshine has to
We made it for him
Because that's what
he is for us
brightens our days
a little here
a little there.
And makes them more enjoyable.
And so from the bottom
of our hearts that you have warmed
more than just a little
we thank you
Billy Sunshine.

High school was many, many years ago, but I still remember the poem. I'm pretty sure that's the way it went.  It was a kind of a clap poem - we clapped and said it in rhythm.   His name was Tim.  They married later and had a beautiful daughter.

My dear friend Linda died from breast cancer in January 2008.  We had not been in touch in the last few years, and I read about it several months afterwards.  I miss her, and the friendship we had so many years past.  I am sorry I didn't make the effort to stay in touch.

When the opportunity came to actually see people who I knew so long ago, and rekindle old friendships, I jumped at it.  How could I not?

Linda is, was and always will be one of the most important people in my life.  She was an amazing, beautiful person and I was blessed to spend the time I did with her and her family. 

So take a minute and make a call.  Write a note.  Go for a visit.  Find that old friend.  Make a new one.  Put yourself out there.  Live, laugh, love.

Peace and joy,
Lea
Linda then and always

1 comment:

  1. Aww, Lea! Thank you for this post! What a tribute to our friend! In looking at this picture of her, I'm more struck by how much her daughter, Laura, looks like her. Laura says that also, everyone tells her that she IS her in the way she acts, mannerisms, and maybe because she was her best friend on this earth. That's comforting that our friend lives on through her legacy of her sweet daughter. Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete