Friday, February 27, 2009

Learning to Run

Today will be my third installment in my first week as a beginning runner. I bought the Runner's World Complete Book of Running, dusted off my running shoes, and am happily following the recommended run-walk schedule. This week, it is run 2 minutes, walk 4 minutes - repeat 5 times for a total of 30 minutes. The goal is to run 30 minutes solid in 10 weeks.

Why did I decide to do this? For one thing, I am looking to continue to improve my overall health and maintain my weight. Taking off (almost) 40 lbs isn't something I want to do again. I would like to lose another 10 lbs, though. I think running, combined with my improved eating patterns (I hate to say diet) and strength training should do the trick. I want to be like the 70-something skydiver in the V8 commercials. Except maybe not skydiving and definitely not a man. And not until I'm 70...

Anyway, the REAL reason I am doing this is so I can run in the Thundercloud Subs Turkey Trot this year with my 12-year old son, Eric. We talked about it last year, but I knew I couldn't run it, and he wasn't interested in walking it. So we made a pact to run it in 2009. The race is held here in Austin in the morning. A perfect way to start Thanksgiving Day.

Monday was the first day out, and I actually thought I wouldn't make it through that first 2 minute run. But it got incredibly easier each time around. And Wednesday's run segments were easier still. I tried to take longer strides. I'm not winning any speed records, but I'm moving.

I will be heading back to the gym tomorrow after two weeks out. I miss my leg presses! I hope I'm able to balance weights and running. I really enjoy strength training. Well, maybe not always when I'm doing it, but I appreciate the difference in my energy. Not to mention my mental outlook. Or my hip measurement.

Enough writing about doing stuff. Time to run/walk.

No comments:

Post a Comment